Thursday, June 07, 2012

Fahrradtour an der Donau/Bike Ride on the Danube

For a number of reasons, I wanted to treat myself to a special vacation this year. It was tough to decide what to  do and where to go until I stumbled across a bike tour booker that offers reasonably priced self-guided tours in Europe. Several tours looked interesting, but I became increasingly intrigued by one that bikes the Danube through Austria. Multiple blogs devoted to the trip further heightened my interest, and I became determined to book the trip.

Finding dates was challenging, however. I didn't want to go in the peak of summer, but work and other commitments made the fall a pretty crowded place on my calendar. I finally found a perfect window of time and, after debating and giving myself pep talks for over an hour, I located some award flights that would work sent in a booking request for the tour. It was a little nerve-wracking, because if they have space available, you are automatically confirmed - once the request is sent, there is no turning back! Of course once it was sent I began to fret that there would be no room.

Four days later I got confirmation - yippee! I simultaneously celebrated and freaked out on learning that I will be biking 30-40 miles per day for 7 days, from Passau to Vienna. I continue to have moments of questioning my sanity and ability to do it, but overall I am confident and excited.

So, I am slowly putting together the rest of my travel plan: flights, train rides, and hotel for my extra night or two at the end. I've got 2 months of anticipation and excitement (while enjoying the awesome Chicago summer and the 2 - shorter! - rides I have booked here). It's going to be fantastic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home